Saturday, January 31, 2009

Time to think!

I had a terrible night last night, That's why I'm up at 0330 on the computer.
Yesterday (Fri) we were supposed to head up to Cairns for the week end. Donna has the week end off - and that doesn't happen very often - so we were staying at this nice resort with a big pool and playground for the kids. It was a last minute thing but I was really excited about getting out if this house.

The rain has been depressing me and even though it was probably raining in Cairns also I was happy to lay about in a hotel room and watch movies or go for a swim with the kids in the pool and maybe even do a trip to sugar-world.

But it was not to be, and for some reason I feel like there was a reason we should not go. I don't know what it is - but.....

This business with the young child being thrown off the bridge in Melbourne has really knocked me around a bit also, I keep picturing it in my head - Dad driving the car in solid traffic, Kids screaming in he back, Dad under lots of stress, Dad then snaps!!! I picture the child looking at its Dad has he carries her to the side thinking he won't do it he's my dad and then looking back up at Dad while she's falling to earth thinking.... he's supposed to be protecting me....what Did I do??....Why doesn't he love me????

I know as parents we all been in the situation where you are driving and the kids are going ballistic in the back but where is that line that changes you to do something as irrational and deadly as the above story.

How close has any of us been to that line. Maybe not to the extreme as the above but to at least not paying attention to what is really important - The deadly weapon you are driving - not who took who's toy or who's turn is it to pick the movie.

A friend on mine was driving home the other day from picking his kids up from school and came across a fatal motorcycle accident where the rider was an older guy - maybe had kids maybe not but no doubt had a family somewhere and his (my friend) kids were in the car while he was trying to save this guy. What a terrible thing to happen.

Sorry about the rant but it makes you think.....

What really is Important to Us ...Huh!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Drew, I think all of Australia is imagining what was going on in that car before that accident. I am thinking there was screaming and fighting, weather is 50 deg, no breakfast or something. My heart has been broken too all week for that whole family, and that little girl too. Witnesses said she did not struggle and appeared limp, so I am hoping that she was not conscious before and during the event. Such a tragedy......her older brother will be scarred for life, I hope that family gets the help they need. ;-)

Nana said...

Darling, I think this terrible thing has affected us all - especially when we all know little children who are so important to us that we never want them to know that terrible fear/unhappiness. All we can do is make sure the kids we know and have contact with get all the love they can and I know yours do, so that has to be enough for us. Love, Mum